With a single, subsidised route, Savonlinna Airport required a strategy for identifying potential commercially viable new routes/airlines.
Savonlinna Municipality contracted InterVISTAS to establish a route development program for the community. The project involved several key components, including:
- Undertaking an air travel market size study to establish origin/destination demand, including analysis of surface leakage to/from Helsinki.
- Assessing the feasibility of new routes and preparing an air service development strategy for Savonlinna Airport, including identification of priority routes and target airlines.
- Undertaking detailed route analysis and producing compelling business cases for new air service.
- Presenting business cases to target airlines.
- Evaluating and negotiating financial incentives for new air service.
Armed with an InterVISTAS comprehensive strategy and detailed implementation plan, Savonlinna has succeeded in educating airlines about the market potential, and is engaged in negotiations with high priority air carriers.
Photo courtesy: Panaramio – Karhuka